Fabulously Delicious: Caramelized Peach Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
I've always had this longing to make homemade ice cream, but when I actually think about doing it, I usually chicken out. Why!? Mostly because I really don't need another massive kitchen appliance sitting around my house collecting dust. So I decided, if I wanted it THAT bad, I'd figure out a way to make it WITHOUT having to use a machine, basically the easiest, laziest way to make ice cream! Right up my alley!
No-churn ice cream is so simple to make, the worst part is waiting for it to freeze overnight! haha As long as you have a good base, you can add in WHATEVER you want!! It's such a beautiful thing, isn't it!? Coming up, August is "Peach Month" so I decided it would be completely necessary and appropriate to make a peach themed dessert, so ice cream it is! The peaches right now are so sweet and yummy that I must buy them every time I go grocery shopping!
Now, do you notice something unusual on the top right of the photo below? That orange T-shaped object? Well, one of my co-workers created this kitchen gadget called the "Pit Popper" back when he used to work in the stone fruit industry and let me tell you, it makes eating a peach SO much easier!! It literally pops the pit out for you! How does it work? Well, you insert the Pit Popper into the stem end of the fruit, turn it clockwise and draw it back out. The serrated tube of the Pit Popper grabs the pit and pulls it out. GENIUS. Makes summertime fruit devouring that much easier!
There's nothing better than caramelizing fruit in brown sugar and butter, then you add cinnamon! Can't even deal. I mean, first of all, the smell alone does it for me, but anything with butter and sugar is completely perfect. So there's that. If you're down to make you're own ice cream and have the patience to wait for it to freeze overnight, do it. It's 100% worth it!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 firm peaches, rinsed and sliced
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp fresh vanilla bean (1 pod)
- Place a large mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter.
- Add the sliced peaches, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir and cook down until the peaches are soft and bubbly. (This part takes the longest, so hang in there!)
- Remove from heat and cool thoroughly then place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Remove mixing bowl and whisk attachment from the freezer.
- In the mixing bowl, add the heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk.
- Using a whisk attachment, whip until combined.
- Add in vanilla beans and mix until everything is completely combined.
- Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in cooled peaches.
- Spoon ice cream in a parchment lined loaf pan and freeze overnight. (Parchment paper is optional)
**Recipe adapted from Ciao Chow Bambina
I remember growing up, my dad used to cut up peaches for me and serve them in a bowl of ice cold milk sprinkled with sugar and give that to me as dessert. So random, but so refreshingly delicious! Essentially peaches and cream... So when I was making this ice cream, that simple dessert was in the back of my mind and was really the inspiration behind this delicious treat!